Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Insectopia

I really wanted to create new work for my show at Flutter (that I actually uninstalled yesterday) and I knew I wanted to continue exploring working with ink wash and wood, so it seemed like a natural medium to use for this show.

Lately I've found myself fascinated with insects and as such I've decided to incorporate them into my art. I've been thinking about how the world of insects exists almost as a parallel universe to our own, while at the same time inhabiting the same space. We are increasingly being made aware that we are more dependent on each other than ever thought before and I thought it would be interesting to try and bring those universes closer together visually and thematically. These pieces take a step into imagining a world where insects instead of mammals grew to be the dominant wildlife on Earth.

While I don't feel like these paintings address all of my ideas, I do think it's a good start and I look forward to investigating these ideas further. Here are two pieces from the show with more to come later this week.

Portrait of a woman with Rain Beetle hat and Millipede Boa

A boy and his Rhinoceros Beetle

Detail

All pieces are painted with an ink wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment