Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Grandfather Triptych



When trying to work out an idea I find that it's helpful to draw the same picture several times incorporating a different style each time. Each style reveals something unique about the subject. The above drawing was my first pass which is basically me being fairly faithful to the source picture. Below is an earlier version of the second drawing. 



 I decided to try out a warm monochromatic look for my second drawing. This was done in a quicker sketchier style than the first. I especially like how this one and the first look next to each other, but at the same time I don't really feel like anything new has been brought to the portrait. Below is the beginning stage of the third drawing.

I like the simplicity of this version, but I had to take it further. 


The third version realized. I really like how this one came out, it's probably my favorite of the three. I love the discovery process of art, how one project will lead you to an idea that probably would have never formed on its own. I feel like this is direction I'd like to explore more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment